Monday, December 10, 2012

Pray for your Pastor[s]!

Not too long ago I picked up a copy of Chuck Swindoll's book, The Church Awakening. It was hard to put it down. I love just about everything Chuck Swindoll writes, but as a pastor, I especially appreciated the following excerpt from chapter two, titled "Challenges, Struggles, Solutions, Priorities:"

"One of my favorite comic strips was The Far Side by Gary Larson. (Why do good cartoonists ever have to  retire?) One particular strip I love shows two dear standing in a forest. One of these bucks has a big, bold bulls-eye across his side. near his shoulder. The other buck stares at the target while giving a great one-liner: 'Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.'

"Let me pause for a moment and remind you that any pastor who is doing the hard work of communicating the truth - and also living it - lives with a big, bold bulls-eye on his chest. Every courageous pastor who speaks the truth is under the gun. He is in the direct line of fire from the adversary, who would like nothing more than to ruin his reputation or, preferably, take him out. Don't think that because he preaches with the confidence of Peter and John that he doesn't need your prayer support. Pray for your pastor! He needs it more than you can imagine. I urge you also to let him know of your commitment to pray for him. The encouragement he will receive through your words will be surpassed only by the strength God will give him through your prayers. Once again, pray for your pastor."

Yesterday, God graced me with the honor and opportunity to preach my second sermon as the Pastor of New Hope Bible Church in Wahoo, Nebraska. For many years now I have often returned to the Old Testament Book of Exodus to ponder a story that took place in the life of Moses, that great spiritual leader of God's chosen people, when, in essence, he came perilously close to crying out "I can't hold on any longer!" That was when his associates, Aaron and Hur, came alongside him, supported him, and enabled him to press on. Every pastor needs to be surrounded and supported by men like them. I challenged each individual member of New Hope Bible Church to be that kind of church member in a message titled "How to Hold On Longer," based on my exposition of Exodus 17:8-16.  Here is the link if you would like to listen to it online, and/or share it with others! [http://sermon.net/PastorJoeLombardi]

Many years ago I came across another quote on prayer that I have often wanted to use, but I have never discovered its source. But is just too good not to use over and over again. So, with apologies to the author, and with some hope that some reader will be able to inform me of the source, I will share it with you now.

"We should pray for those who preach - for the ministers and the evangelists. It is hard to be a preacher. In the first place, there is a great responsibility involved in preaching the Gospel, in rightly dividing the Word. In the next place, the preacher is exposed to unusually many and great temptations. In particular, he is tempted along two lines - either to conceit or to discouragement, depending upon how well he succeeds or how badly he fails in his work as a preacher. If you hear preachers who appear to you to have become conceited, pray God earnestly that they may become so humble and poor in spirit again, that they can feed the flock of God. On the other hand, if you hear a preacher who is getting discouraged, ask God to give him new courage.

"In general, pray a great deal especially for the lesser preachers"  [that would be me, Joe Lombardi] "that they may not feel that they are superfluous. Pray for the power of God upon them. You will then find that they will bring you a fresh message from heaven, even though they are not highly gifted and do not have a particularly striking way of presenting their message. Brethren, will you pray?"

I second the appeal: Brethren, will you pray?

Here is the link to my sermon, "How to Hold On Longer" - an exposition of Exodus 17:8-16. http://sermon.net/PastorJoeLombardi

STILL amazed by His grace,

Pastor Joe Lombardi - the "Lesser" [and possibly even the Least]
10 December 2012


No comments: