Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Letter to Brit Hume

After viewing the YouTube video posted below, and reading some of the nearly three hundred comments that individuals posted, I felt compelled to write a brief note to Mr. Hume to encourage him. Here it is . . .

Dear Mr. Hume:

During the 1924 Olympics in Paris, France, an athlete by the name of Eric Henry Liddell, also known as "the Flying Scotsman," took a stand based on his biblical convictions and personal faith in Jesus Christ. He withdrew from his best event, the 100-meter race, because it was scheduled for the Lord's Day, and decided to run instead in the 400-meter scheduled later in the week. No one really thought he could win. As Liddell went to the starting blocks, an American masseur slipped a piece of paper into his hand with a quotation from the Bible. Liddell ran with that piece of paper in his hand. He not only won the race, but broke the existing world record.

I suspect you already know this story. In light of the events of recent days, in the aftermath of your comments related to faith in Jesus Christ, I just want to remind you of the words hastily scribbled on that piece of paper on that incredible day in 1924: "For those who honor Me, I will honor" (1 Samuel 2:30).

If I may take one more minute of your time, inasmuch as you mentioned Jesus Christ by name, I would also like to remind you of something He said, "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. . ." (Matthew 5:11-12a).

Sir, I have seen many of the negative, nasty, profane and vulgar comments that some have made concerning you and concerning your (our) Lord. But I do believe that one day you will hear the applause of crucified hands, and the divine accolade, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

God bless you, Mr. Hume. Keep on running your race with perseverance.

I am a humble follower of Jesus who is STILL amazed by His grace,

Joe Lombardi

No comments: