Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My Claim to Fame

Because my last name is "LOMBARDI," when people are introduced to me for the first time, they sometimes ask, "Are you any relation to Vince?" (As in Vince Lombardi, the legendary football coach). Now, as far as I know, I'm NOT related to him. But, not too long ago somebody asked me once again, "Are you related to Vince?" When I answered, "No, I'm not," he then made a remark that no one has ever made to me before. He said, "Well, then, I guess you'll need to make your own claim to fame."

Now I know that there is a sense in which he was just "kidding," - but that remark prompted me to do some really serious, heavy-duty thinking. Vince Lombardi's claim to fame was football. So, what will Joe Lombardi's claim to fame be?

Well, after spending the past few days mulling that question in my mind, I've come to the conclusion that I don't necessarily need or even want my own "claim to fame." The main reason why is that I realize now that my personal identity and my eventual destiny are both inextricably linked to the fact that I belong to Jesus Christ. In the words to my favorite Andrae Crouch song: "All that I am and ever hope to be - I owe it all to Thee. TO GOD BE THE GLORY."

The Psalmist expressed it like this, "Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to YOUR NAME be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness" (Psalm 115:1).

Similarly, the Apostle Paul exclaimed, "May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Galatians 6:14).

So, in the words to the title of an old gospel song, I am really "only a sinner, saved by grace." I am justified. That is what I am. Some day I will be glorified. That is what I hope to be. And I certainly cannot take any credit for either one! My Lord God alone is worthy to receive glory for that (Revelation 4:11).

Therefore, I have come to realize that the primary purpose of my life is to advance and enhance HIS reputation in this world. And my passion and my mission as a Christian is to promote HIS "claim to fame."

So, "whether (I) eat or drink or whatever (I) do, (I am to) to it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). For you see, I am, first and foremost, a CHRISTian. I have the incredible privilege and awesome responsibility of bearing HIS name. Therefore, my desire, as I serve Him in the pastorate, is that I will "live a life worthy of the Lord" (Colossians 1:10) and "worthy of the calling (I) have received" (Ephesians 4:1). And my prayer is that I will never do anything that will bring shame to HIS Name, but that, like Phinehas of old, I, too, will be "zealous for the honor of His name" (Numbers 25:13).

And, by the way, when the people in our city here in Oregon’s lush Willamette Valley learn that I wear and bear the name of CHRIST ("Christian"), I trust that they won't even have to ask, "Oh, are you related to HIM?" Rather, I hope that they will be able to take one look at me and say, "Sure, he must be related to Him because (in the words to the title to an Amy Grant song) he's got 'his Father's eyes!'" Now, that would be some claim to fame! (No kidding!).

So, I remain devoted to the cause of Jesus Christ, and to advancing and enhancing HIS reputation in this world!

No comments: